Professor Ahzegbobor Philips Aizebeokhai
B.Sc., M.Sc. PhD
Near-surface Geophysics: electrical resistivity imaging/tomography (ERI/ERT) for hydrogeological, environmental and engineering investigations; 2D and 3D field design for ERI/ERT; numerical modelling, processing and inversion of geophysical data.
Hydrogeophysics: electro-hydraulic relations and hydraulic parameters estimation.
Environmental Geophysics and Climate Change: application of geophysical techniques in environmental monitoring and assessment; and assessment of global/regional climate change footprints in the subsurface, and dynamics of climate change and groundwater hydrology.
Petroleum Geophysics: Seismic interpretation, well logs analysis, reservoir characterization, seismic attributes analysis, seismic stratigraphy, rock physics and petrophysics, and machine learning.
Awards & Honours
He is a recipient of several awards including:
1. 2018 America Geophysical Union (AGU) Africa Award for Research Excellence in Earth Science.
2. Covenant University Award for Research Excellence, Exceptional Researchers, 2017 and 2018
3. Publons Peer Review Awards 2017 as one of the top 1 percent of peer reviewers in Environmental Science (2017);
4. Society of Exploration Geophysicists (SEG) Foundation Travel Grant to the 79th SEG International Exhibition and Annual Meeting in Houston, Texas;
5. CSIR-TWAS Postgraduate Fellowship at National Geophysical Research Institute (NGRI) Hyderabad, India (2008 to 2009);
6. Nigerian Mining and Geosciences Society / AGIP Energy Merit Award (Best M.Sc. Thesis, 2004); and
7. Certificate of Merit Award from Edo State University, Ekpoma (Best Graduating Student, Department of Physics, Edo State University, Ekpoma, 1999).
Courses taught at both undergraduate and postgraduate levels include: Mathematical Methods in Physics, Electrodynamics, General Geology, Geophysical Surveying Methods, Geophysical Data Processing, Basic Petroleum Geology, Hydrogeology, Advanced Research Methods and Documentation Techniques, Electromagnetic Prospecting Methods, Seismic Prospecting Methods, Electrical and Radiometric Methods, Inverse Problems in Geophysics, Fractals and Chaos in Geosciences, Hydrogeophysics, Geostatistics and Petroleum Geophysics
Current Postgraduate Supervision
1. Soil characterization for sustainable precision agriculture; and
2. Rock physics litho-fluid classification using machine learning
Selected Publications (30)
2. Application of Information & Communication Technologies to Teaching, Research and Administration (AICTTRA), Obafemi Awolowo University, Ife, Nigeria, September 11 – 15, 2011.
3. Nigerian Association of Petroleum Explorationists (NAPE) 2011 (West Africa Deepwater: Successes, Challenges and Future Prospects), November 13 – 17, 2011
4. Aizebeokhai, A. P. (2011): The impacts of climate change on groundwater resources in Nigeria. Energy, Environment and Climate Change Research Group, February 17, 2011, Covenant University, Ota
5. Aizebeokhai, A. P. (2009): Global Warming and Climate Change: Realities, Uncertainties and Measures. International Conference/Workshop on Renewable Energy and Climate Change Mitigation, July 14-16, 2009, Covenant University, Ota.
6. Aizebeokhai, A. P. (2007): Review of Geoelectrical Resistivity Imaging in Environmental Studies. Book of Abstract, 30th Annual Conference, Lagos; Nigerian Institute of Physics
7. Aizebeokhai, A. P. and Olayinka, A. I. (2004): Integrating Seismic Data with Well Logs in Structural and Stratigraphic Mapping: A Case Study of Emi Field, Offshore Niger Delta, Nigeria. Book of Abstracts, Regional West-Africa Deepwater Conference and Exhibition, Abuja; Nigerian Association of Petroleum Explorationists in association with American Association of Petroleum Geologist.
8. Aizebeokhai, A. P. and Olayinka, A. I. (2004): Integrating Seismic Data with Well Logs in Structural and Stratigraphic Mapping: A Case Study of Emi Field, Offshore Niger Delta, Nigeria. Book of Abstracts, 2nd Mini Conference, Owerri; Nigerian Association of Petroleum Explorationists.
Summary of Profile
Prof. Ahzegbobor P. Aizebeokhai is focused, doggedly determined, self motivated, goal oriented and service driven with good interpersonal relations. He is calm, calculated and able to work with a wide range of people. He is equally able to work with a team as well as independently, as occasion demands; he is a good team player and leader. Prof. A. P. Aizebeokhai believed strongly in work ethics of responsibility, discipline, integrity, diligence and excellence.
Prof. A. P. Aizebeokhai is a reviewer for many reputable international journals. He won Publons Peer Review Award for 2017 as one of the top 1 percent Peer Reviewers in Environmental Science (2017). Some of the journals he reviews for include Journal of Hydrology (Regional Studies), Journal of Hydrology, Studia Geophysica et Geodaetica, Geophysical Journal International, Arabian Journal of Geosciences, Journal of Environmental Earth Sciences, World Applied Science Journal, Scientific Research and Easy, International Journal of Physical Sciences, Journal of Geology and Mining Research, and African Journal of Environmental Science and Technology.