Dr Isaac Akinwumi
B.Eng., M.Eng., PhD, R.Eng. (COREN), MNSE, MASCE, MNYA, MNGA, AAS Affiliate
I am interested in protecting the environment (its vital resources such as water) and public health. I am involved in research works in the areas of Geotechnical and Environmental Engineering, sustainable construction materials, waste management, water, sanitation and hygiene (WASH), water-food-energy nexus, air pollution prevention, water pollution prevention, plastic pollution prevention and urban development.
Awards & Honours
(i) Co-Investigator, “WASH environments, sanitation policies and health outcomes during the first 2000 days of life”, Frontiers of Development Seed Funding of the Royal Academy of Engineering (RAEng), with M. Luhrmann, A. Akinwumi, 2019.
(ii) Travel Scholarship provided by the Royal Academy of Engineering (RAEng), United Kingdom to attend the Frontiers of Development Symposium: “Inclusivity and wellbeing in the first 2000 days of life”, 11-13 March 2019, holding at Wellcome Genome Campus, Hinxton, Cambridge, United Kingdom.
(iii) Travel Scholarship provided by the Royal Academy of Engineering (RAEng), United Kingdom to attend the Frontiers of Development Symposium: “Inclusive Prosperity and Wellbeing in the Context of Mass Displacement”, 11-14 February 2018, held at Kigali, Rwanda.
(iv) SDG Talent, UNLEASH Innovation Lab 2017, Denmark, August 13-21, 2017.
(v) Travel Scholarship provided by the University of Oklahoma WaTER Center and its sponsors to attend the “University of Oklahoma WaTER Conference”, 18-20 September 2017, held at Norman, Oklahoma, United States (US).
(vi) Volkswagen Foundation Best Poster Prize Award, “Engineering and Life” conference, October 2016, Hanover, Germany.
(vii) Volkswagen Foundation Travel Grant to attend the “Engineering and Life” conference, 19-21 October 2016, held at Hanover, Germany
(viii) Commonwealth Scholarship Commission (CSC) in the United Kingdom, Award for 2015/2016 Split-Site PhD programme at the University of the West of England, Bristol, United Kingdom
(ix) Association of Civil Engineering Students (ACES), Best Lecturer in the Department of Civil Engineering, Covenant University, May 2014, Covenant University, Ota, Nigeria
(x) College of Science and Technology Prize for 2012 Graduating Class Course Adviser, Covenant University, June 2012, Covenant University, Ota, Nigeria
(xi) College of Science and Technology Prize for Best Course Adviser in the Department of Civil Engineering, Covenant University, June 2010, Covenant University, Ota, Nigeria
(xii) University Prize for Best Graduating Student of the Department of Civil Engineering, Federal University of Technology Akure, November 2006, Federal University of Technology Akure, Akure, Nigeria
(xiii) Ondo State Scholarship Award, Ondo State Scholarship Board of Ondo State Government, 2004, 2005 and 2006, Akure, Nigeria
(xiv) Federal Government Scholarship Award, Federal Scholarship Board of Federal Government of Nigeria, 2002, Akure, Nigeria
Courses Taught at Undergraduate Level (B.Eng.)
1. CVE322: Soil Mechanics, 2013 – present
2. CVE317 (now CVE313): Civil Engineering Materials, 2011–2017, 2019 - present
3. CVE314: Introductory Engineering Geology, 2014–2016
4. CVE318: Strength of Materials II , 2009–2014
5. GEC224: Strength of Materials I, co-lecturer, 2012
6. CVE322: Soil Mechanics Tutorials, 2010–2012
7. GEC410: Probability and Statistics, 2009–2010
8. CVE412: Foundation Engineering, 2018-present
9. BLD417: Foundation Engineering, 2018-present
10. CVE530: Geotechnical Engineering I, 2019-present
11. CVE542: Geotechnical Engineering II, 2019-present
Courses Taught at Postgraduate Level (M.Eng. and Ph.D.)
1. CVS811: Properties of Construction Materials, 2017-2018
2. CVG811: Advanced Soil Mechanics, 2018-present
3. CVG821: Advanced Foundation Engineering I, 2018-present
4. CVS911: Advanced Properties of Construction Materials, 2017-2018
5. CVG921: Advanced Foundation Engineering III, 2019