Professor Shalom Chinedu
B.Sc. (Hons.) ASUTECH, M.Sc. Benin, Ph.D. Lagos
Metabolic Syndrome, Public Health, Antimicrobial, Enzyme Technology and Molecular Biology.
Awards & Honours
1.Graduate Fellowship Award, University of Lagos, Nigeria, 2003-2006
2.Best Researcher Award in the College of Medicine, University of Lagos, 2006.
Biomolecules, Enzymology, Protein and Enzyme Chemistry, Molecular genetics, Molecular Biology, Biotechnology, Clinical Biochemistry.
Current Postgraduate Supervision
2. Emiloju, Opeyemi (Ph.D).
3. Franklyn Iheagwam (Ph.D).
4. Famakinwa, Tolulope O., Ph.D.
5. Amatefe George D., Ph.D.
6. Ayodeji, Lemo O., Ph.D.
7. Rufus Afolabi, Ph.D
Selected Publications (69)
2.2018 Annual Bioethics Forum: “Bioethics, Vulnerability and Protection from Exploitation in Research”, Ikeja, Lagos, Nigeria. December 12 – 13, 2018.
3.1st International Conference on Alternate Sweeteners organized by International Research Network on Alternate Sweeteners in collaboration with FIRRO and Lagos State University, Federal Institute of Industrial Research, Oshodi (FIRRO), Lagos, Nigeria. December 3 – 5, 2018.
4.20 hours Training Course on Total Quality Management (TQM). Building Trust for Trade: The National Quality Infrastructure Project for Nigeria organized by the United Nations International Development Organizations (UNIDO) in Collaboration with the European Union (EU), held at Covenant University, Ota, Ogun State, Nigeria, November 26 -30, 2018.
5.2-Day Training Workshop for Covenant Health Research Ethics Committee (CHREC) members on ‘Protection of Human Participants and Responsible Conduct of Research’ organized by Bioethics Society of Nigeria in collaboration with Capacity Strengthening of HRECs in Nigeria Project. Covenant University, Ota, May 10 – 11, 2018.
6.36th Annual Conference of Nigerian Society of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, University of Uyo, Akwa Ibom State, Nigeria. November 13 – 17, 2017.
7.Experimental Biology (EB) 2017 Conference, McCormick Place, Chicago, Illinois, USA, April 22–26, 2017.
8.35th Annual Conference of Nigerian Society of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, Covenant University, Ota, Ogun State, Nigeria. November 1 – 4, 2016.
9.7th Annual Conference of Consortium of Universities for Global Health, Hilton hotel, San Francisco, USA, April 8 – 11, 2016.
10.Experimental Biology (EB – 2016) Conference, Convention Center, San Diego, USA, April 2–6, 2016.
11.14th World Congress of Public Health, Kolkata, India, February 11 – 15, 2015.
12.Workshop on ‘How to review protocols and provide constructive feedbacks’. Training of Covenant University Research Ethics Committee members on protocol review, research monitoring and community engagement, Covenant University, October 13 – 15, 2015.
13.3rd Nigerian Annual Clinical Trial Summit, Advancing Global Clinical Trials in the West African Sub-region, Sheraton Lagos Hotel, Lagos, Nigeria, June 1 – 3, 2015.
14.Workshop on Improved Learning Methods in Higher Education System, Afe Babalola University, Ado-Ekiti, Nigeria. April 9-12, 2013.
15.13th World Congress on Public Health, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia, 23-27 April 2012.
16.37th Annual Conference of Parasitology and Public Health Society of Nigeria (PPSN), University of Nigeria, Nsukka, Enugu State, Nigeria, September 17 - 20, 2013.
17.32nd Annual Conference of Nigerian Society of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, University of Calabar, Nigeria, November 14-17, 2012.
18.11th Annual Scientific Conference and General Meeting of the Nigerian Society of Experimental Biology (NISEB), University of Lagos. March 28 – 31, 2011.
19.Research Funding Opportunities Training Workshop on “Research Professional Africa database”, jointly organized by Research Professional Africa, Cape Town, South Africa and the University of Ibadan, Ibadan, Nigeria, November 29, 2010.
20.11th Mandatory Training Workshop of the Institute of Public Analysts of Nigeria (IPAN) - The Use of High Precision Instruments in Laboratory Analysis-, Lagos, Nigeria, April 27-28, 2010.
21. 2ndInternational Biotechnology Symposium, Covenant University, Ota, Nigeria. March 23-26, 2010.
22. 31st Annual Conference of Nigerian Society of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, University of Nigeria, Nsukka, Enugu State, Nigeria. October 31st – November 3rd 2011.
23. Regional Capacity Building Workshop on Institutional Quality Assurance Systems, Principles, Practices and Problems for Anglophone West Africa and Portuguese-speaking Africa, National Universities Commission, Abuja, Nigeria, April 7- 8, 2010.
24. 1st International Biotechnology Symposium, Covenant University, Ota, Nigeria. April 28 – 30, 2009.
25. 10th Mandatory Training Workshop of the Institute of Public Analysts of Nigeria (IPAN) Quality Assurance & Laboratory Management- Lagos, Nigeria, November 10-11, 2009.
26. 2nd International Workshop for Heads of Biochemistry Department and Units of Tertiary Institutions, Parastatals, Government and Industry, on “Repositioning Biochemistry and Molecular Biology Curricula for Effective Research in Health Science and Enhanced Food Security” National Universities Commission, Abuja, Nigeria, October 28-29, 2009.
27. 29th Annual Conference of Nigerian Society of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, Federal university of Technology, Akure, Nigeria. December 6 – 9, 2009.
28. Second International Workshop on Pattern Discovery in Biology (IWPDB), Covenant University, Ota, Nigeria, July 2009.
29. “PCR Technology – Training the Trainers: Biotechnology for National Development.” Daniel & Fola Biotechnology Foundation, Lagos, Nigeria; June 23-25, 2009.
30. International Hands-on Training Workshop on Molecular Biology and Applied Biotech, Covenant University, Ota, Nigeria, July 28 – August 2, 2008.
31. 27th Annual Conference of Nigerian Society of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, Federal University of Technology, Owerri (FUTO), Nigeria. November 6 – 9, 2007.
32. 25th Annual Conference of Nigeria Society of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, University of Lagos, Nigeria. November 15 – 18, 2005.
Summary of Profile
Professor Chinedu obtained a Bachelor’s degree in Applied Biochemistry from Anambra State University of Technology, Enugu (Now, Enugu State University of Science and Technology, ESUT) in 1986 and a Master’s degree in Biochemistry from the University of Benin in 1988. He earned his Ph.D. degree from the University of Lagos in 2006.
He has supervised numerous projects, dissertations and theses of undergraduate and postgraduate students and made breakthrough contributions in such areas as public health, communicable and non-communicable diseases, solid waste bioconversion, cellulolytic enzyme production, and characterization of African protein sweeteners. His research findings in such areas as natural antimicrobials, body weights and health implications, and African food plants of medicinal value have been presented on several public and global health platforms.
Professor Chinedu is the leader of “Covenant University Public Health and Well-being Research Cluster (CUPHWERC), an interdisciplinary research group, working with local Council authorities to raise the health and living standards of local communities. CUPHWERG has, through vibrant, life-applicable research and services in the area of public health and nutrition, impacted communities and assisted local health authorities and PHCs to improve healthcare delivery services to the people. The group’s current efforts are targeted at reducing child & maternal mortality, nutritional- & body weight-related health problems, and cosmetic-induced skin diseases. The group is also involved in consultative and collaborative activities with several health agencies, food, drug and cosmetic industries.
Professor Chinedu belongs to several professional bodies and has published several research articles in reputable peer-reviewed journals and presented papers at local and international conferences/symposia.