CU - Disabling Cookies
Cookies are typically stored on your computer's Internet browser by default. The purpose of cookies is to store settings and information for web pages that you have accessed. You may want to disable cookies on your web browser from being stored in your computer for privacy reasons, or to free up space on your hard drive. Here are a few steps on how to disable cookies in various web browsers.
iPhone, iPad and other iOS Devices
- Open the Settings app. It's the "gray gears" icon that is generally on your home screen or dock.
- Scroll down to Safari, and click on the icon. Safari Settings will be shown on the right. Click on the Accept Cookies button.
- Click "Never." In the Accept Cookies screen, click the Never button.
- Clear existing cookies. Click the Clear Cookies and Data button. You will be asked to confirm that you wish to delete cookies. Clicking Clear will remove all cookies and data, and close all open tabs.
- If you use other browsers on your iOS device such as Chrome or Opera, you will need to disable cookies on those browsers as well.
Google Chrome v11 +
- Open the Google Chrome web browser, and click the Chrome menu on the browser toolbar, top right.
- Click "Settings" on the drop-down menu.
- Select "Show advanced settings" on the very bottom of the page.
- In the "Privacy" section, click the Content settings button.
- In the "Cookies" section, select either "Block all cookies" or "Block only third-party cookies."If you want to delete your cookies, click "All cookies and site data" to open the "Cookies and Other Data" dialog.To delete all cookies, click "Remove all" at the bottom of the dialog.To delete a specific cookie, select the site that issued the cookie, then the cookie, and click "Remove".
Google Chrome v1 - v10
- Open the Google Chrome web browser, and select the tools icon on the right-hand side of the search bar that looks like a wrench.
- Choose "Options" from the drop-down menu, and then click on the link that says "Under the Hood" on the left-hand side.
- Select "Content settings" listed under the Privacy segment.
- Choose the button next to "Block sites from setting any data" in the first section called "Cookies."
- Close the Content Settings window, and return to your homepage.
Internet Explorer 9
- Open the Internet Explorer web browser and click on the "Tools" menu, top right.
- Select "Internet options" from the drop-down menu.p550x3Select the "Privacy Tab" up top.
- Either toggle the "Internet zone" button for a quick setup, or select "Advanced" for a more detailed setup.
- If choosing "Advanced", click the "Override automatic cookie handling" option. Select any combination of "block first-party cookies" or "block third-party cookies".
Internet Explorer 8
- Open the Internet Explorer web browser.
- Find the "Tools" menu on the top right-hand side of the browser, and select "Internet Options" at the bottom of the menu.
- Choose the Privacy tab, and to disable all cookies slide the bar all the way to the top.
- Select "OK" at the bottom of the window.
Internet Explorer 6 and 7
- Start your Internet Explorer web browser by clicking on its icon on your desktop or Start menu.
- Choose "Internet Options" on the menu called Tools at the top of your web browser window.
- Select the Privacy tab, and then slide the bar under the Settings menu to the very top in order to disable all cookies.
- Push "Apply" in the bottom right-hand corner of the window, and then select "OK."
- Open the Firefox web browser, and select the "Firefox" menu, top left.
- Select the "Options" drop-down, and then the "Options" menu again.
- Select the Privacy tab up top.
- Select the "Firefox will" command, and click "Use custom settings for history".
- Remove the check marks from "Accept cookies from sites", and confirm the new settings by pressing "OK".
- Open the Safari web browser, and select the settings menu top right.
- Click on "Preferences" in the drop-down menu.
- Select the Privacy tab on the top of the menu.
- Click "Always" in the "Block cookies" option to disable all cookies. Click "From third-parties and advertisers" to disable cookies from third-party sources. Press "OK."
- Open the standard internet browser on your Android device.
- Once the browser is running, press the menu button on your phone.3Select the "More" option.
- Select the "Settings" option under the "More" menu.
- Scroll down until you find the "Accept cookies" box. Toggle off to disable cookies.
- Start your Netscape Navigator web browser and access the "Tools" menu. top left.
- In the "Tools" drop-down menu, choose "Options."
- Select the "Privacy" tab up top.
- Unclick "Accept cookies from sites" to disable all cookies. Click on "for the originating site only" to disable cookies from third-party sources. Press "OK."