The Department of Mathematics started as a servicing unit at the inception of the University in the year 2002. In 2004, it became a full unit under the Department of Natural Sciences and today it is now a full Department, accredited by the National Universities Commission (NUC) in the College of Science and Technology. Dr. T. A. Anake presently acts as Head of Department.
From the population of five pioneering students in 2004, the Department has grown to a total of one hundred and fifteen (115) students today.
In response to needs in industry and Academia, the Department now offers Postgraduate and undergraduate degrees in Industrial Mathematics with options in Computer Science and Statistics respectively.
Then and now, the Department provides academic services for her students as well as students of other departments in the University. The Department presently has total in-house Faculty strength of twenty one (21) and three (3) Staff.
Philosophy and Objectives
The philosophy of the Department of Mathematics is derived from the overall philosophy of Covenant University, which can be summarized as “Bringing up a new generation of leaders that will move the African continent forward in all areas of human endeavour”. The Department therefore, aims to marry theory with practice and hence undertake to train all students in the methods and techniques of independent research as a means of developing skills needed for critical reasoning about issues in science and national development that will be beneficial to the community, industry, government and the country at large. Furthermore, there is a strong desire to achieve an enviable level of professionalism and entrepreneurship while maintaining good academic background germinating into valuable industry-university relationship. The drive is to produce graduates who can make informed contributions to scientific, technological, economic and social issues in a globalized environment such as the attainment of the Vision 10-2022 of the University and the Sustainable Development goals (SDGs). Thus, the various research clusters in the Department are involved in researches geared toward the attainment of both Vision 10-2022 of the University and the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). The Pure Mathematics programme in Covenant University is to create the enabling platform for the training of a new generation of problem solvers in all fields of human endeavours.
To achieve this aim, emphasis will be placed on the following objectives:
- Develop in students’ enthusiasm for mathematics and appreciation of its applications in different areas of our national manpower needs.
- Produce graduates who can handle mathematics in science, engineering, business and related disciplines involving mathematics.
- Prepare students for graduate studies in specialized areas of mathematics or multi-disciplinary areas involving mathematics.
- Develop in students the ability to apply their knowledge of mathematics and skills to the solution of theoretical and practical problems in real-life situations.
- Provide service courses in mathematics for students in other disciplines requiring a working knowledge of mathematics.
Research & Development
Research & Development
The Department currently offers a degree in Industrial Mathematics with options in computer Science and Statistics. The following courses amongst others are taught in the Department:
- Differential and Integral Calculus
- Real and Functional Analysis
- Differential Equations (Ordinary, Partial and Quantum Stochastic ODE)
- Statistics, Probability and Stochastic Processes
- Numerical Analysis and Computation
The research areas currently embarked on by our Faculty and students include:
Differential equations, Numerical Analysis and Computation, Operations Research, Optimization, Mathematical Finance, Analytical Dynamics, Stochastic Analysis, Functional Analysis and Statistics
Candidates seeking admission into the 4-years Industrial Mathematics programme in the Department of Mathematics, with options in Computer Science and Statistics respectively, must fulfill the following requirements:
- ‘O’ Level Requirement: Five ‘O’ Level (WASC/GCE/SSCE/NECO or equivalent) Credit passes in English Language, Mathematics, Physics and any other two subjects from, Further Mathematics, Chemistry, Biology, Agricultural Science, Economics, Geography, Government and Commerce, obtained in not more than 2 sittings.
- U.T.M.E Requirement: Subjects include English Language, Mathematics, Physics and any one of Chemistry, Biology, Agricultural Science, Economics, Geography, Government and Commerce
- They must fulfill all other Admission Requirements as prescribed by the Senate of Covenant University.
See Details in the Postgraduate Handbook
- Prof. J. O. Gbadeyan Vibration of Elasticity Structure
- Prof. A. O. Adewumi Optimization
- Prof. R. B. Adeniyi Numerical Analysis
- Prof. O. O. Ugbebor Probability Theory
- Dr. A. S. Idowu Fluid Mechanics